Why is the Li River so popular? You will be astonished to find out that the landscape of the Li River is a real example of a traditional Chinese painting. This is good to know if you are interested in Chinese culture.
The Li River is like a green silk ribbon weaving around thousands of hills. The hills accompany the Li River and decorate its banks with their elegant shapes. Take a bamboo boat trip to enjoy the unique hills, green river, authentic countryside lifestyle, and fresh air. Everything seems so poetic when you’re boating on the river.
Highlights of the Li River
- The largest karst landscape area in the world. The special karst scenery is the most famous factor about the Li River, attracting numerous visitors every year.
- Thousands of uniquely shaped hills and the clear waters of the Li River. The thousands of hills have thousands of shapes. It’s hard to find two hills that are the same.
- Experience the authentic Chinese countryside lifestyle. Compared with Beijing or Shanghai, Yangshuo is a small county and you can enjoy a different local lifestyle there.
- Well-known reputation throughout the world. National Geographic wrote that the Li River has the most picturesque scenery in China. It is also one of the world’s “Top 10 Watery Wonders”.
Stunning Views from the Li River
Visiting the Li River is definitely a must-do experience when you’re in Guilin. The hills and the Li River are perfect partners in Yangshuo’s landscape. Without the Li River, the hills will seem boring and less lively; without the hills, the Li River will seem pale and dull.
Thousands of Hills Guard the Li River
Without the thousands of hills lining the banks of the Li River, you wouldn’t believe that it is the soul of Guilin. Different from the majestic mountains in Northern China, the hills in Guilin have a more elegant and delicate appearance. They are all different from each other — some hills look like beautiful girls standing there while some hills look like animals, such as a carp, a snail, a camel, and a horse. Various hills will dazzle your eyes and what you see depends on your imagination.
Travel to the Li River and Immerse Yourself in a Pictorial World
In Guilin, the hills seem quieter when you hear birds singing. The color of the Li River is deep green yet the water is clear. Looking down at the river, you can see slight ripples forming at the top of it. Standing in the bow of a boat, you will be intoxicated by the landscape in front of you. It’s interesting to witness such an authentic view that resembles a traditional Chinese painting. You will feel that you are traveling in a pictorial world.
Experience the Authentic Countryside Lifestyle in Yangshuo
Another important experience in Yangshuo is to enjoy the most authentic lifestyle there. Compared with modern cities, such as Beijing, Xi’an, or Shanghai, Guilin is a small city and Yangshuo has beautiful countryside. The local people have their own lifestyle: they transplant rice seedlings, they go fishing, and they make local handicrafts.
Life in Yangshuo is slower than in other regions and the locals aren’t bothered by the busy world outside of their environment. The locals’ lifestyle will help to clear your mind so you can enjoy simple pleasures and feel happy again.
Travel Tips for the Li River
- Chinese: 漓江, Lí Jiāng /lee jyang/
- Location: Guilin, Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region
- Length: 83 kilometers from Guilin to Yangshuo
- Features: karst mountains and river views
- Best times: April, May, September, and October
- Suggested visiting duration: 4–5 hours
- Visiting options: a Li River cruise, bamboo rafting, and hiking along the banks
Trippest Helps You Experience All the Highlights of the Li River
Join Trippest’s One-Day Yangshuo Tour to discover excellent landscape in one day!
You Might Like