Half-Day Shanghai Zhujiajiao Water Town Tour Including Gondola Ride
- Approx. 5 hours
- Every day
- Private tour
This famous ancient water town-Zhujiajiao is often compared to the "Venice of Shanghai", and it is one of the four famous historical and cultural towns in Shanghai. See for yourself the hustle and bustle of life of the local people living by the canals, which is colorful and interesting as you glide by.
- You are free to choose your departure time in the morning or afternoon with door-to-door private transfer service.
- Take a gondola trip to explore the town.
- Visit three must-see sights to learn the history and culture of water town.
Although the atmosphere in Zhujiajiao is different from Venice, it is known as the "Venice of the East", because rivers cross through the whole town. There are 36 old bridges and 9 streets built along the rivers. It is a pearl of southeast China.
More than 1,000 old houses standing on either side of the streets were built during the Ming (1368–1644 AD) and Qing (1644–1912 AD) dynasties. They are well preserved, along with some small shops, fish outlets, calligraphy shops and a few restaurants; and short boat trips on the river can be arranged.
You will visit several attractions, but the highlights are as follows:
- The Qing Dynasty Post Office, built in 1892, was the first post office in eastern China. There you will see many curious objects, such as the fish-style envelopes used in ancient times, and get to know about the development of the Chinese postal service.
- Kezhi Gardens, meaning gardens used for learning and planting, are tranquil and peaceful. There are rock formations you can climb and caves to walk into, and a fish pond where you can feed fish. There you will see many decorations and tiny bridges, much vegetation and furniture.
- Fangsheng Bridge, linking the two sides of the main waterway, is a medieval bridge used only by pedestrians. It is best seen from the gondola you will take.
Know Before You Book
- Friendly English-speaking tour guide service.
- Bottled water.
- Air-conditioned vehicle.
- Entry/Admission - Zhujiajiao Ancient Town
- A gondola tour
- Lunch fee (RMB 60-80 per capita, depending on appetite).
- Tipping of guide & driver recommended on good service on a 2:1 ratio separately (usually RMB 50-100 per person).
- China Visa
- Accommodation, travel insurance and any other personal expenses during tour.
- Airport transfer.
What Do I Need To Bring?
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- You will receive details about the tour guide and pick-up in your voucher the day before. And the tour guide will also call you through hotel or leave a message for you about pick-up time the night before tour.
- Hotel pickup and drop off services are available within the middle ring zone of Shanghai.
- You can choose your departure time at 9:00 am or 2:00 pm. Please let us know at the time of booking.
- We will charge a cancellation fee of 100% if booking is cancelled 48 hours or less before event.
- Ours operate rain or shine. In periods of extreme or unsafe weather, we will discuss with you for alternative arrangements or cancel the tour at our discretion and provide a refund.
For 48-hours last minute booking