3-Hour Walking Tour to Former Jewish Settlement in Shanghai
- Approx. 3 hours
- Private tour
At the edge of old Shanghai, there is an area that witnessed the survival of the faith of tens of thousands of Jews. It is called "Hongkew Ghetto" by Jews. This area was like Noah's Ark for Jews during WWII, and it preserves the precious historical memories of what life was like for Jews in Shanghai at that time.
Follow your local guide to discover the memories of elderly Jews. You will also see exhibitions of historic items, visit original buildings that stood during World War II, and learn stories about the area's history.
Shanghai Jewish Refugees MuseumThe Jewish refugees gathered for religious rites during the World War II. Built by Russian jews in 1927, it features gallery-type architectural style. With black brick walls, the 3-storey main building has horizontal red brick decorations. Its doors and windows are decorated with traditional arches. On the main gate, there is the symbol of Judasism "Star of David". In March 2007, the People's Municipal Government of Hongkou District budgeted special funds for a full renovation of the synagogue in accordance wiith the original architectural drawing found in the city archives.
Huoshan Park & Tilanqiao Historic Area
Now the original features of the Jewish settlement are still well preserved. They are the pnly typical historic traces of the Jewish refugee life inside China during the World War II. The musuem is an important component of the "Tilanqiao Historic Area" and serves as a witness commemotating the phase of history when the Jewish refugees lived in Shanghai.
Know Before You Book
- Knowledgeable English-speaking tour guide
- A cup of coffee in Baima Café
- Entry/Admission - Shanghai Jewish Refugees Museum
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off service
- Tipping of guide recommended on good service
- Any other personal expenses during tour.
What Do I Need To Bring?
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- This tour is not available for New Year's Day and Chinese Spring Festival Holiday on the lunar canlendar.
- This tour has no pick-up service, you have to make your way to our meeting point.
- We also can provide an additional transfer service from your hotel to meeting point, or your hotel to airport/train station, let us know while we are happy to help you arrange it.
- We will charge a cancellation fee of 100% if booking is cancelled 48 hours or less before event.
- Ours operate rain or shine. In periods of extreme or unsafe weather, we will discuss with you for alternative arrangements or cancel the tour at our discretion and provide a refund.
For 48-hours last minute booking