Private Tour: Yungang Grottoes and Hanging Monastery From Datong
- 8 hours
- Every day
- Private tour
Take time out from Datong to see two of north China's historical highlights on this private tour. View the 5th-century Yungyang Grottoes, a series of rock-cut caves filled with Buddha statues. Plus, check out the Hanging Monastery, whose ornate medieval temples are suspended from a cliff face. Learn about both sites from a private guide on a tour that includes entrance fees, and private transport.
- Visit the Yungang Grottoes, a UNESCO World Heritage site of cliff caves filled with Buddha statues.
- Discover the Hanging Monastery, a 1,500-year-old monastery suspended from a cliff face.
- Climb up to explore the temples or enjoy the views from the ground.
Depart from your Datong hotel, sit back and take in the views of rural northern China and the Wuzhou Shan mountains as you journey toward the UNESCO-listed Yungang Grottoes.
On route, hear intriguing facts about this historical wonder from your guide. Dating from the 5th century, the site features 252 cliffside grottoes and niches filled with thousands of hand-carved Buddha statues, making it a masterpiece of Buddhist cave art.
On arrival, tour the grottoes that spread just over half a mile (1 kilometer) from east to west. Admire the largest, 55-foot (17-meter) Buddha in the fifth cave, and enter some caverns to admire the Buddha figurines, and colorful wall murals and decorations.
Then travel onward to the Hanging Monastery, built into the Hengshan Mountain, south of Datong. The only existing monastery dedicated to all three religions of Buddhism, Taoism and Confucianism, this incredible structure was originally built about 1,500 years ago, and hangs from a sheer cliff face about 246 feet (75 meters) above the ground.
Topped by ornate upswept roofs, this monastery is supported by crossbeams driven into the cliff, and consists of 40 rooms connected by corridors and bridges, and filled with about 80 bronze, iron, and clay statues.
Admire the building from below or, if the monastery is open on the day, climb the steep steps to explore the walkways and chambers. Drink in the stunning views from the cliff face, and see the rock overhang above that shelters the temples from the worst of the elements.
After admiring the monastery, drive back Datong where your tour ends with a hotel drop-off.
Please note: the Hanging Monastery is occasionally closed for renovation or repairs. If this is the case on your tour, you will not be able to climb up to the rooms, and your visit will involve viewing the buildings from the ground.
Know Before You Book
- Transfer by reliable driver and air-conditioned vehicle, including hotel pick-up and drop-off.
- English-speaking tour guide service.
- Entry/Admission - Yungang Grottoes
- Entry/Admission - Hanging Monastery
- Lunch fee (RMB 60-80 per capita, depending on appetite).
- Gratuities (recommended)
- Accommodation, travel insurance and any other personal expenses during tour.
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- You will receive details about tour guide and exact meeting time in your voucher the day before. And the tour guide will also contact you through hotel or leave a message for you regarding the exact time the night before tour.
- Lunch is not included in this tour. But you can have a lunch break at any time if needed, just let your tour guide know.
- Hotel pick-up area should be within the central Datong city.
- We will charge a cancellation fee of 100% if booking is cancelled 48 hours or less before event.
- Ours operate rain or shine. In periods of extreme or unsafe weather, we will discuss with you for alternative arrangements or cancel the tour at our discretion and provide a refund.
For 48-hours last minute booking