Where to Stay in Shanghai? Shanghai is the largest city of China by population and known as the ‘Showpiece’ of China because of its Lujiazui Skyline, museums, and historic buildings and gardens such as the Bund, the City of God Temple and Yu Garden etc. Many foreign and local people travel to Shanghai to visit historical buildings, gardens, and museums. And because Shanghai has a large population, therefore the travelers might find it difficult to find the best place to stay in Shanghai.
This article is to help the travelers get the best hotel and accommodation in Shanghai or its neighborhood without any difficulty. In this article, the readers will also learn about some handy and useful tips which will help them to book hotels, avoid the crowd and save their costs.
Which is the best place to stay in Shanghai?
It would be a challenging task to find and choose the best place to stay in Shanghai, especially for those who are visiting Shanghai for the first time. There are many hotels and accommodation within Shanghai as well as in its neighborhood but which district to stay in Shanghai is still confusing because every neighborhood and district in Shanghai is unique and different from the other.
Each neighborhood has its own character, cuisine, sights, architecture, and influence. It means that hotel and accommodation trends will also vary from district to district. Let’s take a look at some of the few main neighborhoods which are best for the travelers to do their exploration and visiting.
Pick the Best District or Neighborhood According to Your Travel Style and Taste
As each district and neighborhood has different things to offer therefore you must choose the district to stay in Shanghai on whether you want to visit the trendy bars, parks or historical buildings, museums, and shopping center.
1. People’s Square Neighborhood – Best for Sightseeing
People’s Square is located in the center of Shanghai.
• Why You Should Stay in This Area?
The best advantage of planning your stay in this neighborhood is that most of the attractions are at a walking distance from the area. Plus this neighborhood is surrounded by a number of dining restaurants, café, shops, and museums. It is also easy to get transportation from this area.
Although there is always a crowd in this area, you’ll always find hustle and bustle everywhere in Shanghai. You can still retreat yourself by visiting the beautiful and quiet parks in the People’s Square during the rush hours.
• The best place to stay in Shanghai in People’s Square area:
There are two best hotels in People’s Square. One is a bit expensive while the other one is cheap with good services.
- Mingtown Etour: It is the best hotel of the People’s Square, featuring rooms with shared bathrooms. There is also a bar and a country yard, with an amazing location, behind Tomorrow Square in an alley. It is expensive but the prices value the service and views which the visitors would enjoy.
- Metropolo Classiq: This hotel in people’s area is the best place to stay in Shanghai because it is cheap as well as has a cheery ambiance. You might not get the best design rooms but this hotel is right next to the metro station so you can easily get the bus and move around to most of the attractions at low prices.
2. Jing' an Neighborhood: Best for Designer Digs
• Why Stay in this Area:
This area is Shanghai’s modern center. There are great hustle and bustle around the area because of the abundance of dining restaurants, bars, and shopping malls. This area is best for those who are in Shanghai on a business trip because it is a hub for business hotels, but one can also find some other non-business local hotels too.
• Best Hotels in Jing’an Area:
- Cachet: if you are looking for a place that is modern, fashioned and well-designed plus suits your budget then this hotel is the best place to stay in Shanghai. This hotel is small yet very stylish. The view from the higher floor rooms is splendid. One can enjoy the sunset and the city’s hustle bustle and lightning at night from the hotel’s balconies. The prices are little higher but still not very expensive.
- Puli: If you are looking for a quiet, elegant, sleek and attractive place in Shanghai then Puli hotel is your best option. The hotel is located away from the main road, hence not noisy and less crowded. There are a spa and a pool in the hotel with elegant designs and good services. It is budget friendly and it is near to the Jing’ an Park.
3. Old City: Best for a Hint of Tradition
• Why Choose the Old City Neighborhood?
The Old City of Shanghai is the center of Chinese historical traditions and culture. It was are where the Chinese population first lived. Although today not much history is left because of the re-build of the whole old city yet one can still find the ancient Chinese customs and trends in the central bazaar which is around the Yuyuan gardens. There are a lot of cabs in this area and travelers can hire a cab anytime at cheap rates.
• Best Hotels to Check-in Near Old City:
- Indigo: this hotel is located on the river bank of Shanghai. The rates are fair, and it’s a boutique option, offers good views of the scenery alongside the river bank.
- Narada Boutique: This hotel is elegant and well oriented. The décor inside the hotel is oriental which gives it an elegant look.
4. The Bund: Best for a touch of luxury
· Why to Stay in this Area?
This neighborhood is the financial center of Shanghai. It is also the city’s center with many attractions, shopping malls, and museums, dining restaurants, cafes, and bars. This area is the most expensive, lavish and luxurious area of Shanghai.
If you are looking for luxurious and plushest hotels, fine dining, branded shops, and upscale nightlife then The Bund is your best option. The hotels in this area are expensive but are very lavish, the service spectacular. Also, it is easy to find transportation in this area. Buses, cabs, and subway all are accessible from this area.
• Where to Stay in Shanghai the Bund Area?
- Waldorf Astoria: This hotel is a portrait of heritage. It was once a club of Shanghai’s oldest gentleman which was upgraded into a stylish hotel preserving the heritage. It is re-designed on the Neo-classical theme. It is expensive but has good services and offers many recreational activities.
- Fairmont Peace Hotel: it is Shanghai’s most famous and popular hotel. The hotel is a true piece of history and art. The hotel is designed with marvel steeped historical art-deco. There is also a renowned historical Jazz bar in the hotel. As it is the Bund Area hotel, the prices are high but it worth spending money if you are a history and jazz lover.
10 Tips for Travelers To Find the Place Where to Stay in Shanghai:
While concluding the above discussion we have shared some very useful and helpful tips for the travelers which will surely help you to find the best place to spend your stay in Shanghai comfortably.
- Find a place which is near to the city’s center or Disneyland if you are visiting Shanghai with kids and family. It means you need to find a hotel which is near to restaurants, shops, and other attractions, so you don’t have to travel a lot.
- It is advised to book a hotel which is near to city’s subway lines. Because traveling through subway is cheap and easy rather than traveling in cabs.
- Always choose a neighborhood to stay where local transportation to move around the Shanghai city is easily available.
- If your tour includes visiting other cities in China make sure that you are staying somewhere which is near to the airport and train station.
- Before traveling Shanghai search for the hotels online to get an idea about the current rates and availability of rooms.
- Don’t forget to use your bargain skills. You can negotiate the hotel room prices even at the 5-star hotels in China. Only if you are good at bargaining.
- Always choose a hotel or accommodation to stay with connected or attached bathrooms.
- Make sure that the hotel rooms have enough number of beds according to your members.
- Before checking-in, any hotel makes sure their rooms have the switches or whether they provide the adapters and converters to their customers.
- Stay the top floor rooms in the hotels so that you can enjoy the best view of the sunset and late night city’s hustle and bustle. Moreover, high floor rooms are less noisy.
Recommended Tours With Trippest
Whether your time is limited or you just want to experience the most authentic history and culture, Trippest has prepared some boutique tours (mini group tours with no more than 6 travelers) for you: