Renmin Park is a great place to experience the Chengdu locals’ relaxed and laid-back lifestyles. During the daytime, it’s easy to encounter various local entertainment activities, such as playing mahjong and cards, drinking tea, cracking melon seeds, and picking ears.
Located in Southwest China, Chengdu is regarded as China’s Mediterranean area. You can feel the different cultural atmosphere in Chengdu and experience the locals’ great pride in their city. Renmin Park is the best place to experience how the locals live — their lives are comfortable, enjoyable, leisurely, and they enjoy their freedom.
Top Fun Things to Do in Chengdu’s Renmin Park
Also known as People’s Park, this central park is the epitome of Chengdu’s culture and delightful lifestyle. Unlike other traditional parks in China, you can find many interesting things to do there. We have listed the must-do activities below so you can explore this magical city in the most fun way.
1. Order a Cup of Tea at a Teahouse and Enjoy a Lazy Afternoon
For most tourists, a must-do activity in Renmin Park is walking along the nice trails and having a cup of tea as you sit outside to relax in peaceful surroundings. You can enjoy a cup of tea at a cost of just 15 yuan in many teahouses in the park. Heming Teahouse is famous for its well-preserved architecture and historic atmosphere.
Doing nothing but enjoying this precious time will help you realize why Chengdu is regarded as the “Land of Ease” and to understand the famous Chinese phrase “少不入川，老不离蜀”, which means “Young men don’t go into Sichuan and old men can’t leave Sichuan”.
2. Enjoy an Ear Cleaning Service in Renmin Park
You’ll find that there are many men who offer a service to clean your ears for a modest fee. They may ask you if you need this service when you are enjoying your tea. It’s fun and comfortable to get the wax cleaned out of your ears. It’s about 100 yuan per person and they appreciate it if you are satisfied with their service.
3. See the Local Marriage Market in a Corner of Renmin Park
Due to the cultural difference, it’s strange for most foreign travelers to see a marriage market. Detailed information about unmarried men and women is printed on A4 sheets of paper, such as telephone numbers, a person’s personal likes, job, and family. These A4 sheets of paper are displayed at the marriage market to attract potential boyfriends or girlfriends.
Chinese parents are eager to see their sons and daughters marry before they reach 30 years old, and they make every effort (although young Chinese people don’t like to be forced into marriage by their parents) to invite opportunities for their children. It’s a really interesting phenomenon in Chinese society.
4. Get a Taste of How the Locals Live
There is so much to see in Renmin Park. Different from most Chinese parks, you can really get a sense that the local people are genuinely living their lives and enjoying every day. A lot of local people like to exercise, perform, drink tea, do tai chi, and dance together in this park. Students play games together after school. This is the most authentic lifestyle of the locals.
5. Visit Popular Attractions in Renmin Park
Covering more than 10 hectares, there are plenty of attractions for you to visit in the park.
- Rockery Square: You will see this when you enter People’s Park through the eastern gate. There are about 3,000 tons of rocks, which were heaped together by local people to create an artificial hill.
- Goldfish Island and teahouses: Behind Rockery Square is Goldfish Island. There are hundreds of goldfish in the lake. You can also enjoy a cup of tea in the area.
- Gold Water Stream: Located to the southeast of Renmin Park’s eastern gate, Gold Water Stream is famous for its nice landscape of lush trees, flowers, and a clear stream.
- Memorial to the Railway Protection Movement: This site was built in memory of the sacrificed heroes who contributed to the Railway Protection Movement in 1911.
- Orchid Garden: Situated in the south of People’s Park, this garden displays more than 900 pots of orchids.
- Potted Landscape Garden: There are more than 200 potted plants on display.
- Children’s playground: Offering many kinds of facilities for kids, this is a children’s paradise inside Renmin Park.
- Chrysanthemum exhibition: There are more than 1,000 species of chrysanthemums in this park.
Travel Tips for Visiting Renmin Park
- Location:9 Citang Street, Qingyang District
- Entrance fee: It’s usually free to enter the park but costs 12 yuan during a flower show and 18 yuan during a major festival.
- Opening hours: April to November: 6:30am to 10pm; December to March: 6am to 10:30pm
- By metro:This park has its own subway station named People’s Park Station. Take Metro Line 2 to get there.
- By bus:Take bus 5, 13, 43, 47, 51, 53, 58, 62, 64, or 64 Express to get to People’s Park Station.